Deep Sentinel Rechargeable Battery Guide
Last Updated 5/2/2019
The wire-free Deep Sentinel Cameras allow simple and flexible placement around the property exterior. Each camera is powered by a battery with industry-leading capacity and with the correct setup, a fully charged battery will give long-lasting performance.
Battery life varies depending on Camera placement, protection zone setup, and camera usage.
Here are some guidelines to help maximize battery life for each Camera:
1. Camera Placement - Isolate Environmental Factors
When positioning and setting up each Camera, it is important to isolate environmental factors as much as possible. Branches, flags, swings or similar close to the Camera can cause undesirable triggers that reduce Camera battery life. Avoid directing a Camera towards a busy street as this will also reduce battery life.
1.2 Camera Placement - Consider Wi-Fi Signal Strength
When a Camera is unable to communicate efficiently with the Hub it may lose its connection. In this case, the Camera will wake and attempt to reconnect to the Hub once every minute. If the Hub is powered off or the Camera is out of range, this will considerably reduce the Camera battery life.
Here are some points to help ensure strong Wi-Fi signal strength:
- Position the Hub in a central location
- Position the Hub in a raised position (not on the floor).
- Position the Hub to avoid metal obstacles.
- Avoid sources of interference (cordless phones, smart speakers, microwave ovens… ).
Follow the separate guides covering Hub and Camera placement for full details to help ensure good Wi-Fi signal strength.
2. Optimize Protection Zones
The Deep Sentinel system will analyze only the activity that occurs within the Protection Zone that is marked for each Camera. The Protection Zones can be quickly edited to ensure the best performance and reduce false alerts. Focusing the Protection Zones so they are smaller and avoiding busy areas will extend battery life.
Here are some guidelines to follow related to Protection Zones:
- First, go into edit protection zone for the Camera in the system settings. Assess the field of view for the Camera and optimize the red Protection Zone to include only the specific areas where coverage is needed.
- Edit the Protection Zone so it does not include busy public areas (e.g. a street, sidewalk or busy driveway).
- Reducing the size of the Protection Zone will decrease false alert.
- Review the Protection Zone positioning on a regular basis especially after replacing batteries or adjusting the Camera angle or position.
3. Temperature Effects
The Deep Sentinel cameras are designed to be used outside in all climates, but the rechargeable batteries chemical reactions slow at low temperatures. As this occurs, there are performance changes too.
If the cameras are used in a cold climate (temperatures regularly below freezing), the batteries may need more frequent recharging compared to a warmer climate. Use the spare battery that was included with the system to keep it operating.
Batteries can be discharged over a large temperature range, but the charge temperature is limited. For best results, charge between 50°F and 86°F (10°C and 30°C). Avoid charging at below freezing temperatures.
4. Replacing a Battery
- Remove the Camera from the mount.
- Remove the battery compartment lid and slide the Battery out.
- Insert a charged battery into the compartment and replace the lid.
- Press the camera power button once and release. The button is located on the rear of the Camera see illustration below.
- The Camera will re-connect to the Hub.
5. Battery Safety
To ensure optimal safety and performance:
- Store spare batteries in a cool, dry, ventilated area.
- Check that the Camera battery compartment is dry and free of debris before replacing a battery.
- Insert the battery gently. If there is resistance, check for an obstruction.
- Do not place batteries in a pocket or other receptacle, especially one containing metal objects.
- Do not disassemble, cut, crush, puncture, short-circuit, dispose of in fire, or expose the batteries to temperatures above 140 °F (60 ℃).
In the case of a battery leaking and electrolyte coming into contact with skin, rinse with water immediately. If eye exposure occurs, flush with water for 15mins and consult a physician immediately.
6. Counterfeit & Inferior-Quality Battery Warning
The Deep Sentinel equipment package includes rechargeable batteries for powering each camera. These batteries are custom designed and engineered for use with Deep Sentinel cameras.
- Do not use counterfeit and/or inferior-quality replacement batteries. Such batteries can develop internal shorts and may pose a fire or burn hazard.
- Avoid purchasing batteries from online-auction and other marketplace websites, as these are known sources of counterfeit and/or inferior-quality batteries.
- The use of counterfeit and/or inferior-quality batteries could greatly reduce runtime and output performance, damage the Cameras and constitute a safety hazard.
- Counterfeit and/or inferior-quality batteries that cause damage to the Cameras may void the warranty.
- Counterfeit and inferior-quality batteries may lack built-in fault and heat protection.
- Deep Sentinel performance claims are based on the use of Deep Sentinel rechargeable batteries.